Sunday, November 16, 2008

Opera Mini 4.2 beta on Blackberry Curve 8330

I downloaded this browser from www.operamini.com and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with its capabilities. With the standard Blackberry browser I could not log into my bank account at Chase.com, but with the Opera Mini this was possible. The webpage will display in it's normal html format and you can scroll down or side scroll and then zoom into the part of the page you want to see up close. This is great for those times when you really need to look up something on a site that won't display properly on the regular blackberry browser. It's not great for extended browsing, but it's definitely something to rely on when your regular browser won't do.
One downside to Opera Mini is the inability to select and copy text on a webpage.

Update: I just discovered after writing the above that Chase in fact does have a mobile version of their site (www.chase.mobi) that can be accessed with the blackberry default browser. Touche.

No comments: