Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What I want from a weather widget and why I'm not getting it!

My new Motorola Droid is one week old. Happy birthday!
I want a widget on my homescreen that tells me the current conditions. It should show the temperature in Fahrenheit, and the icon should change from sunny to cloudy to rain to snow.
When I tap the icon I would like for it to quickly tell me what the rest of the day will be like: Will it rain? Will temperatures be hot, or cold? Humidity is also important. Just show me conditions and temperature range for the day! In other words, I just need to know what to wear.
I downloaded two weather widgets: (1) the Weather Channel, and (2) Weather Widget - Free (by Android Apps).
The first one is overkill. It several screens of detailed reports (now, hourly, 36 hour, 10 day, video, and maps!). But when I tap the widget it does not show today's temperature range. It's got too many bells and whistles which drain the battery.
The second app is very simple but it lacks one important ingredient: The icon does not change to show current conditions! You must tap the icon to get that information. Humidity would also be a plus.

No comments: