Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Blackberry's camera won't work...

I use a Verizon Wireless Blackberry Curve 8330. I've had it since July. Lately, the camera won't work. I get the following message:
"Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."
Well, I tried closing applications, rebooting, double-rebooting, and of course a good old wipe (which is supposed to reset the device to factory settings), but I still get the same message when trying to open the camera. It seems to be a hardware issue. I am having the device replaced by Verizon.

Interesting things about "wiping" your blackberry:

1) It removes all personal data and settings, but it does not remove applications. When wiping, there is a checkbox that you can select to "remove all third party applications". When I select that, it removes most 3rd party applications, but not all applications. GoogleTalk and Facebook survived the wipe. I supposed they would survive a nuclear attack like cockroaches can...

2) When I synchronized it with my laptop at work, it erased all appointments I had on my Outlook calendar (I have the Blackberry Desktop Manager set to automatically synchronize on connection and not confirm deletions/additions, because I am not a huge fan of manual intervention). Sheesh! Luckily for me, I sync with my home computer as well, so I didn't lose all the information.
The other information (tasks, notes, and contacts), were copied to my blackberry. However, one of my friends called me later and the name did not show up with the number. I checked the address book on my BB and saw his name and e-mail address, but the number was missing. Clearly something is wrong with the way these synchronizations work!

When I got home, I first checked my outlook contacts on my computer and found my friend's name and number intact on my outlook contacts. What went wrong??

When I plugged into my home computer I began the sync process, but first made sure it confirms deletions with me. I saw it was trying to delete everything from my outlook calendar just like it did earlier to me at work! So first I tried to do a one-way sync from my desktop computer to the Blackberry. It simply would not copy anything to the Blackberry. I was mad! Why the hell won't it work? What's the point of the whole sync process if it does not work!?

Finally, I clicked "reset configuration" in the sync settings on Blackberry Desktop Manager, and that seemed to do the trick. Now I am syncing both computers again.

No comments: