Wednesday, September 24, 2008

VZ Navigator: Would you pay $9.99/month for this???

Before I ordered my Blackberry Curve from Verizon, I spent countless hours of searching for the right smartphone before committing to the dreadful 2-year contract. (What if a super-iPhone with a built-in jet engine appeared before my contract was up?).

I visited Verizon stores, AT&T stores, the Nokia store, and tested the IQs of countless cellphones. I wanted something that would make me happy. I wanted a phone that will take care of me for as long as the 2-year marriage would last. However, I had a really hard time getting clear information about the phones from Verizon's representatives and from the descriptions on their website. The descriptions of the phones and the "compare phones" feature told a lot about features like whether or not the phone came with "VZAppZone", "V Cast", and a plethora of other features that few of us care about - but they skimped on information like whether or not the phone has wi-fi or GPS! It was a very frustrating experience.

Before I made the decision on the BB Curve, I asked the representative online if the phone had GPS. He said yes. When I actually received the phone, it turned out that if I wanted GPS using VZ Navigator, I would have to dish out another 10 bucks a month for the service. I called and argued with the representative who was willing to take the phone back. The rep said that I can use the GPS only with VZ Navigator, and that the GPS will not function with other programs. I felt completly bait-and-switched by a Fortune 500 company!

I called back again the next day and spoke to another rep. She said it's not true. I can absolutely use the GPS with other programs. I went ahead and download google maps, enabled the GPS, and, well, it did work!

So why was I told I needed to pay $9.99/month to use GPS navigation? Well, because someone has to pay the salary of the person who developed the VZ Navigator app, a memory-guzzler which does not hold a candle to the user-friendliness of Google Maps. No thanks! I deleted the VZ Navigator app from my Blackberry. I can use the space for better things...

One more thing to mention: The GPS is not real GPS that works via satellitee like those in cars. The Blackberry GPS works by tracking the closest cellular tower, which can be hundreds or thousands of feet away. This means that you may be off by just a few blocks. It's still good if you're looking to find something locally, such a Duane Reade or your bank's branch in the area. I find the GPS on the Curve to be extremely useful!

2 comments:

The Commando-in-Chief said...

Update: I got a letter in the mail from Verizon reminding me that I can download features to my phone. It was all about the VZNavigator that they offer for $9.99/month. It touted all the great features, such as "turn by turn directions". They are really pushing this crap to the consumers. What a shame!

The Commando-in-Chief said...

Update 2: It is now more than 5 years later and that link to VZ Navigator is still alive! Verizon is apparently still selling its product to customers naive enough to buy. The income from these sales is generated purely by the ignorance of people who are unaware of the fact that Google Maps, Waze, OSM, and others superior products, are free.